Sunday, November 29, 2009
Launching Locavore Lite 2010
Locavore Lite 2010 is a fresh, fun, healthy, Ventura County-based, local-food project which welcomes participants from our County and from around the world. The project is designed to increase public awareness of the importance and availability of local farm produce, by encouraging residents to involve themselves in their local food system. A major objective of the project is to reduce global warning.
A locavore is a person who eats food that is grown or raised locally. The term Locavore Lite suggests a form of local eating that is so easy, that anyone can do it.
If you have an interest in delicious food, health, farming, the environment, the local economy, quality of life, climate change, or food safety; then you will want to participate with your friends and family in Locavore Lite 2010.
Official Ground Rules for Participation in Locavore Lite 2010
1) commit to this year-long project for which participation begins on January 1, 2010, or at the latest by April 1, 2010, and ends on January 1, 2011,
2) give some consideration to where your non-local foods come from,
3) shop at a farmers’ market a minimum of one time per month, or receive produce from a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) at least once a month – if it is not possible to shop at a farmers’ market or receive produce from a CSA each calendar month of the year, then the participant will shop at a farmers’ market or receive CSA produce a minimum of 12 times within the calendar year,
4) eat at least 1 all-local-food meal every 4 months during 2010 (Jan-April, May-Aug, and Sept-Dec)
How and When to Sign Up to Participate
You can sign up to participate in Locavore Lite at any one of the following four websites:
1) Facebook http://Facebook.com - search for Locavore Lite 2010 and becoming a fan,
2) our blog http://locavorelite2010.blogspot.com - become a follower,
3) Life Event Networks http://lifeeventnet.com - create an account and become a participant in the Locavore Lite 2010 life event,
4) Eat Local One Year http://www.eatlocaloneyear.com -register to use the forum.
Once you have signed up at any one of these four websites, you will be able to receive information about the project.
If possible, please sign up by January 1, 2010, or at the latest by April 1, 2010 to qualify as a participant. Please see special ground rule explanations below for those who sign up after January 1.
Please help us spread the word; tell your Facebook friends, e-mail everyone, write letters to the editor of your newspaper, and share the idea with everyone you know.
To our collective health,
Kristofer and Joanne Young
Co-founders Locavore Lite 2010 & Eat Local One Year